Former coach jailed for nationwide investigation into non-recent sexual abuse in football

A FORMER football coach, with links to clubs in Oldham, is one of the first to be jailed as part of a nationwide investigation by GMP into non-recent sexual abuse in football.

William Toner (09/11/1943) of Market Street, Whitworth has today, Friday 20 July 2018, been jailed for 3 years and 2 months at Bolton Crown Court.

William Toner

He pleaded guilty to four counts of indecent assault on a teenager boy during the 1990s.

The court heard how Toner – who was also known as Bill – claimed to be a scout from Manchester City Football Club and had connections to clubs in Bury, Rochdale, Oldham and Cambridgeshire.

He first met his victim, an aspiring Bury footballer, by offering one-to-one coaching sessions with him after telling him he had potential.

After the sessions, Toner would inappropriately massage the boy before sexually touching him.

The abuse spanned years and the victim felt he could never tell his family or report the offences to police.

He eventually turned his back on the sport and stopped playing shortly after in a bid to escape the abuse.

However, following national coverage of non-recent sex abuse in football he bravely reported Toner to Manchester City Football Club, who encouraged him to contact the NSPCC in 2016- who in turn contacted Greater Manchester Police.

An investigation – code-named Operation Corduroy – was launched which spanned nationwide involving partners including the NSPCC, Football Association and local councils.

Detective Sergeant Dave Jones, from GMP’s Operation Corduroy investigation team, said: “This victim dreamed of being a footballer, just like many others, and Toner ripped that dream away from him and made it a living nightmare.

“He used his esteemed position as a football scout to perversely prey on a vulnerable young boy with a promising career ahead of him.

“His abuse was sickening and deplorable and the victim felt he had no other choice but to turn his back on that dream in a bid to escape it.

“Toner robbed him of his childhood and this man has had to endure this pain knowing that Toner was out there all the while walking free.

“His bravery and courage throughout this investigation has been commendable and by taking that first step of reporting his ordeal, he can now see his abuser put behind bars.

“Today is a breakthrough for all victims of this type of offence and we hope that this case has opened the door for others to feel confident in reporting their abuse to police.

“This has been an extensive investigation involving partners nationwide who have all played a crucial part in helping to secure this conviction and I want to also thank them.”

Greater Manchester is a fantastic place for sport and we want to ensure this is a safe space for children and young people.

To report child sexual exploitation, call police on 101 or 999 if a child is in immediate danger. Alternatively, visit to find contact details for local ‘It’s Not Okay’ team.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *