THE 2019 Greater Manchester Walking Festival is coming to Oldham and Rochdale from May 1-31.
This year organisers are partnering two charities: The Jo Cox Foundation and We Stand Together.
We Stand Together works to build understanding and respect between communities; celebrate differences; act against hate and hatred and build a safer and stronger Greater Manchester.
The Great Get Together, inspired by MP Jo Cox, encourages communities up and down the country to get together on the weekend of June 21-23 to celebrate kindness, respect and all we have in common.
The month-long festival is delivered by experienced walk leaders plus partners, groups and individuals, many of whom are volunteers. Here are some local walks:
• Wednesday, May 8, 15, 22 and 29: Let’s Go for a Walk to Dovestone Reservoir (12.15pm), fairly easy 4.8 miles stroll, starting and finishing at Clarence Hotel. Contact Alan Keane on 07715 078239 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Wednesday, May 8, 15 and 22: Let’s Go for a Walk on Crompton Moor (start 1.30pm): two miles medium walk across Crompton Moor. Meet at Brushes Clough car park off Buckstones Road. Contact Anita Lee on 0161 620 5658 or email email@example.com
• Sunday, May 12: Nordic Walk to meet the alpacas on Crompton Moor (start 11am), four miles medium walk with free loan of poles. Meet at Dunwood Park bowling pavilion. Contact John Norman on 07904 072181 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Sunday, May 19: Inspiring Women of Oldham-guided walk (start 11.30am, booking recommended). This 30-minute guided walk will explore the story of some of the inspirational women of the town. Meet at Annie Kenny statue in Oldham town centre. Contact Pauline Lloyd, 07723 503702 email@example.com
• Tuesday, May 21: Shaw Social Stroll, Let’s Go for a Walk with Age UK Oldham, (start time 10.30am). Contact details see May 7 event.
• Saturday, May 18: Piethorne Valley, Blackstone Edge and Hollingworth Lake (start 10am). This 11-mile (challenging) linear walk is a section of the GM Ringway. Meet at Newhey Metrolink station, Huddersfield Road, OL16 3RN; Contact: Andrew Read 07799 473720 or info@GMRingway.org
• Wednesday, May 22: Watergrove and Cown Park Reservoirs and Healey Dell (start time 10am). Distance 10 miles (medium). Meeting point: Healey Corner, junction A671 Whitworth Road and B6377 Shawclough Road. Nearest postcode: OL12 8RP; Contact: Maureen Lindsay 07793 027110, firstname.lastname@example.org
• For details of all works visit the website: www.gmwalking.co.uk