Shaw man ‘mauled’ by dog after medical episode

An inquest is due to take place in the case of a man who died after being bitten by his dog while suffering a medical episode.
Jonathan Halstead, was found dead at his house on Duckworth Street in Shaw, Oldham on Wednesday 29 January.
caption: Jonathan Halstead

By Sophie Halle-Richards

A MAN who died at a house in Shaw was ‘mauled’ by his dog after he collapsed from a medical episode, an inquest has heard.

Jonathan Halstead, 35, was found dead at a house on Duckworth Street on January 29.

The engineer, who suffered with epilepsy, lived at the property with his dad and pet dog.

An inquest opening into Mr Halstead’s tragic death heard that the three of them had all been at home at the time of the incident.

Police Coroner’s Officer, Bernadette Hatton told the hearing that around 1.20pm, Mr Halstead’s dad heard a thud coming from one of the bedrooms.

“He went straight to the bedroom to find the dog mauling his son,” the Heywood inquest heard.

“He tried to get the dog off his son but couldn’t, so called the emergency services.”

Paramedics arrived at the house but sadly pronounced Mr Halstead dead at the scene.

The dog is understood to have been shot dead by police.

Ms Hatton told the hearing it is not clear if Mr Halstead had been having a fit, or whether he collapsed on the dog.

She confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

The results of a post mortem examination to determine exactly how Mr Halstead died, are yet to be published.

Area Coroner for north Manchester, Ms Catherine McKenna, adjourned the hearing for further investigations to take place.

A full inquest is expected to take place on May 21.

His friends expressed shock and heartbreak upon receiving the news of his sudden death.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said: “Shortly before 2pm on Wednesday January 29, police were called to a report that a man had been bitten multiple times by a dog at a property on Duckworth Street, Shaw, Oldham.

“Emergency services attended and sadly found the body of a 35-year-old man.

“The dog was destroyed by officers at the scene.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *